Venice Golf Club - 1928
Venice Golf Club History
Venice Golf Club is located on the southernmost tip of the island of Lido, threading through pine groves and sandy dunes, with the world-famous beaches and the Adriatic Sea on one side and the Lagoon surrounding the ancient town of Venice on the other.
The course covers today about 100 hectares with characteristics like Scottish links where sand and wind are rendering the game comparable to that of British tradition.
In 1928 the first nine holes, designed by the Scottish golf course architect Cruikshank, have been inaugurated, with a week of golf tournaments open to the first 25 members of the Club, all from Venetian aristocratic families. The course has many peculiar features: a wide selection of trees which flank the fairways, ponds and water canals, a self-draining sandy foundation capable of absorbing great quantities of rain water such keeping the course practicable 12 months a year, bora and sirocco winds implying different playing tactics, together with the intrinsic difficulty of each hole. The fascination of the course is originated by a perfect alliance between natural and historic beauty and the technical difficulties, placing the course among the most interesting in Italy.
18 holes, par 72 course, 6039 meters from normal standards and 6199 from championship tees. It was built in 1928 and enlarged to 18 holes in 1951 in a spectacular strip of land between the Adriatic Sea and the Lagoon of Venice. It shares several links features and the bora and sirocco winds that often impact the course, increase the challenge and require game control to hit the greens, which are well protected by bunkers.
The charm of the Venetian course lies in the perfect alliance between natural beauties and technical difficulties that make it one of the best courses in Italy. It still ranked by many years at the “Top Ten” chart of the best Italian courses drawn each year by Golf Digest.
Information and Reservation